The Foundation awarded £10,000 in June 2017 towards the updating of this well used village hall in the heart of the Essex countryside.
With no school or shop in the village, Golderhanger Village Hall, which was built in 1937, has always been the focal point of local community life. The wide range of activities includes weekly karate, carpet bowls, bingo and pilates classes and the hall is also hired by the Women’s Institute and the local historical society for monthly meetings. The building work has made the hall much more accessible and welcoming for wheelchair users and young families with pushchairs. A spacious new entrance lobby was built and the old, asbestos roof replaced which has helped to ensure the hall remains in use for future generations.